Building a Mobile Website for eCommerce
It’s not “IF” or even “WHEN” regarding building a mobile website for eCommerce – the time is NOW and you should be actively working on building mobile commerce sites. Considering that, here are some things to think about when outlining your feature requirements:
1) Plays nice with your existing eCommerce platform. Some mobile commerce platforms will integrate with some eCommerce platforms. But, if you use a platform that integrates well with data feeds, no eCommerce platform would be off limits for integration. A data feed allows you to swiftly manage a large amount of product information, automatically syncing it with your mobile eCommerce platform.
2) API capabilities. Order placement, user login management, promo codes, etc. should all be able to be mapped to your existing eCommerce platform. A good mobile commerce solution will be able to complete this integration.
3) Focused on conversions. eCommerce is for sales; As it should be for mCommerce (though we’ve seen plenty of mobile stores that seem unconcerned with optimally converting sales). Make sure your mobile eCommerce website is focused on good user experience from navigation through to shopping cart completion. Some features that show a mobile eCommerce solution is focused on conversion include: Image-centric shopping carts; A UX that does not require visitors to go backwards; Comprehensive product data listings; and, universally accessible menus.
4) Mixes mobile-optimized design with responsive design. Mobile-optimized websites and responsive websites both have pros and cons. Using a solution for your mobile eCommerce site that marries the best of both is recommended by experts.
5) Integrates with SMS marketing. SMS subscribers are your best customers, and running SMS promotions is your fastest way to increased sales revenue. A mobile website focused on eCommerce should also have SMS marketing and subscription management built-in.
6) Simple to launch and manage. In this day and age, software for eCommerce should be easy to launch and manage. Don’t get forced into an IT-intensive project that will end up costing a substantial amount of time and money. Select a mobile website solution for eCommerce that requires little IT intervention and can be managed by someone on your staff.
These features should be the bare minimum considerations you should be making. A solid mobile eCommerce website solution should have the above features and, be cost-effective to your organization, have the ability to launch in weeks, and be able to prove ROI in a quarter’s time.